Monday 6 November 2017

Research and Planning: E4 and the Brief

E4 is a television channel which is owned by the more familiar channel, Channel 4. The thing that differs E4 from it's parent company is the content it provides. Where Channel 4 offer a variety of different genres, E4 mainly focuses on entertainment, hence the 'E'.

E4 has been around since the start of 2001, equaling 16 years on the television. Due to it's content, the channel prioritises a target audience of 16 years and above. This is their primary target audience, however a lot of their shows can also appeal to younger people.


E4's demographics suggest they have done a good job in reaching out to their target audience. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any of the figures for 16 year olds, but I found that in 2013, a large majority of the audience were under the ages of 18 and up until the age of 24.



Some of their most popular shows include Come dine with me, The Inbetweeners, Hollyoaks, The Big Bang Theory and Misfits. There's an example of a show that could appeal to someone below the age of 16, Hollyoaks, even if that isn't the primary target audience.

E4 is the entertainment subsidiary of Channel 4, this network has a variety of different offspring, including the likes of Film4, which caters to film lovers, 4Music, which caters to music lovers and More4, which has a variety of content.

More about the brief


The brief that we have been asked to complete is to create an 'E Sting' for the E4 competition. An E Sting is a short, 10 second, animation that becomes symbolic to the E4 channel.


Above is an example of an E-Sting that I have chosen to analyse because it's interesting. Although the camera work and the editing is smooth, it all seems a bit too slow and can come across as boring.

The thing I like most is when the camera focuses on the snooker balls, this is common in many adverts, because it grabs the audiences attention. However, to improve this E-Sting, I would maybe add some music to the background or make it faster.


This is another example of an E4 E-Sting, and this one takes the advice I mentioned in the previous E-Sting. There's a lot more going on and most importantly, there's music. Seems as the target audience for E4 is the younger generation, it's important to retain attention throughout the animation, which can often wander in this age category. Including music and a lot of movement, which is what this E-Sting has in abundance.


This one is a strange one, but I think it fits the brief well. You have two options when making animations, you can either plaster it with action or focus on the little things with big affects, which is what this animation does well. I think this is my favourite of the three, because it captures attention without being too dramatic. I will aim to make my E-Sting in this style.

Responding to the brief


In order to respond the brief, I have had to do a lot of research into existing E-Stings, and what is possible with the resources available to me. Fortunately, there was a wide variety of animations available to me from my class, so in order to maximise efficiency, I decided to take a look at each of them.

This was a good way to see what the people around me were doing, and to learn from them in order to improve my research. From this, I found that the animations which appealed to me most were the ones where the music synced well with the action. I found this made the animations more aesthetically pleasing to watch, and I wasn't confused when trying to keep up with both the music and the action.

I also found that I liked the animations which involved inanimate objects. Being part of the E4 target audience myself, I feel like this means that the target audience of E4 will prefer animations like this too. Therefore, I will probably make my animation in a claymation style. I'm still undecided on which materials I will use, but as of this moment in time, Plasticine looks like the safest option due to how adaptable it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Research Portfolio

Primary Research TV adverts - Research I used my own-made questionnaire to analyse the TV advert we made. The responses we got wer...